Monday, September 22, 2008

Hike Report #6: August 31
Pacific Crest Trail
South Cascades, Washington

15 miles, 3000 feet elevation gain

The hike to Kendall Katwalk is one of my all-time favorites. I did it twice this year, the first time in early July being quite an adventure as there was still a lot of snow on the ground. Today, I hit the trail early as the forecast called for snow above 5000' in the afternoon. Snow in August I say!



Early on, I ran into a couple coming down who had hiked from Canada. They were clearly exhausted and looking forward to the hotel at Snoqualmie Summit. Lisa and I decided we will hike the PCT from Canada to Mexico someday... then spend a couple weeks on the beach with maragritas in hand!

Fog was laying on the mountain like a blanket. A big, gray, wet blanket. I reached the Katwalk around 10am... it is such an amazing place. The effect of a sheer face disappearing hundreds of feet into the unknown clouds below was awe-inspiring. I usually spend some time here, but it was starting to snow and Gravel Lake was my goal. So onward! A couple years ago I saw a big cat sunning itself on the rocks up here. As I passed that spot my pace quickened, just a little.

I came first to Ridge Lake, which was absolutely surreal in the low light and fog. The campground here is terribly overused and trampled. I wish people would take a little more care with their boots. Gravel Lake was now just a short push away, and good thing... the snow was coming down pretty heavily, and I was soaked.

After dining on a gourmet meal of beef jerkey and m+m's, I turned around and headed for the parking lot. I saw dozens of hikers heading up, and was glad I had left early enough to have the mountain to myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's start planning our hike for next year!

Eileen said...

Beautiful photos

Post a Comment