Monday, August 25, 2008

Video Hike Report #5: August 24
McClellan Butte
South Cascades, Washington

9 miles, 3700' elevation gain

There certainly would've been easier ways to put 9 miles behind me, but I set out for a challenge on this day, and was not disappointed. I arrived at the lower trailhead early and met three Australian trekkers at the bottom, who thanked me in advance for clearing the overnight cobwebs off the trail as I set out quickly ahead of them. Cobwebs. Ok, so there's at least one bad thing about being first one up.

The early hike was largely uneventful, but pleasant. I took a brief side-trip to Alice Creek, where my son and I had camped a few years ago during a 100-mile bike adventure on the Iron Horse Trail. I was amazed how much the landscape had changed over the years due to surging spring waters from the creek.

The trail eventually began switchbacking relentlessly, one steep turn after another, until I rounded a small corner to the amazing sight of Mt. Rainier in the distance. Buoyed by the views, I continued to the mountain ridge and literally gasped at the 360-degree miracles. "No way, no way is this real." I remember saying out loud in pure wonder.

I saw the summit, and then the vast, rocky exposure I would have to cross (alone) to reach it. I was not prepared for this. I waited too long at the base of the scramble... looking alternately up at the knife-edge peak, then down a thousand unprotected feet to the unknown. I made a half-hearted attempt, scrambling up about 50 feet until the pitch steepened. I looked down, and said out loud, "not today."

I'll be back, McClellan Butte!

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Awesome video

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got cold feet! Talk about a drop...

Post a Comment