Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hike Report #2: August 10
Tillamook Head
Seaside, Oregon

4.2 miles, 1000' elevation gain

"I behold the grandest and most pleasing prospect which my eyes ever surveyed.
- Capt. William Clark



Ok, so maybe the fog obscured for us Clark's "grandest and most pleasing prospect". And maybe a hike in Oregon isn't exactly in the spirit of a Hike-A-Thon to benefit Washington trails. But hey, Lisa and I had been planning this trip for awhile, and I was excited to relive one of my favorite childhood ambles.

The hike starts from a trailhead just a short distance from the cove in Seaside, Oregon (see Lisa's blog for more photos of our trip). It starts relatively steeply, but eventually levels out to a nice, walkable pitch. We marvelled at the giant old trees... some standing proud, others laying flat on the ground, succumbing to nature's slow recycling process.

We reached the summit fairly quickly, and peered over a ledge to an eerie sight of trees emerging from the fog... their trunks some unknowable distance below us. Although we couldn't see the ocean, the sound of it rolling in the distance was a good indicator of the height we'd reached. I had packed a couple sammiches, which had become thoroughly flattened and bordered on inedible. But Lisa was a good sport (as always), and we chomped away. On the hike down, we were amazed at how little of the landscape we recognized. Things really do look different on the way down!

There are reasons I like to hike alone, but many more reasons why I enjoy doing it with family. Lisa and I had so much fun on this trail, alternating between serious "parental" conversations about our kids, to singing and joking and laughing. You don't get that at home in front of the tv.

It's not too late to sponsor my attempt to hike 50 miles in August in support of Washington Trails Association. Thanks in advance for your support!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the sammiches were grubbin'! Thanks for toting me along with you... always an amazing experience!

Post a Comment